Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Getting Ready To Go

Well, in three days I will be flying from Seattle to Shanghai, China to start my teacher exchange with the DaJing High School.  We had a group of 23 students, two teachers, one vice principal and one Communist Party section chief visit us a couple of weeks ago and we spent the week reading and performing Oedipus Rex with them.  Is that crazy or what?  Even crazier, they really enjoyed it!  The students made costumes and filmed each other acting out the scenes.  It was exciting, exhausting, and exhilarating.

So why am I going over there?  To strengthen the ties between our two schools; to promote international understanding; to learn about the Chinese education system and how it differs from the US system (not that I'm really IN the US system, since Northwest is an independent school); to continue making friends with the teachers over there and invite them to our global symposium this summer (where we hope to have representatives from all five partner schools, from Spain, France, Taiwan, China and Ethiopia); and to foster relationships with the students.  I hope to do some teaching, probably mostly ESL stuff like public speaking and academic writing, MAYBE some Antigone, also have an "English corner" at lunch where we can practice conversation.  I want to shadow a couple of students and see what they do all day, shadow a couple of teachers and see what their jobs are like.  I also want to visit some old friends, parents of my old students, and make some new friends.  I'd like to be a tourist as well, check out the Bund, the older parts of the city, the newer parts, go up the high buildings, try some fancy food, take side trips to Hongzhou and Souzhou, and just watch people.
Me and the vice principal when he visited

Here is what I am packing:  clothes, walking shoes, toiletries, a whole bunch of Starbucks Vios instant coffee with mini-moos, little presents for people (mini Seattle calendars, fridge magnets, Applets and Cotlets, etc.), a couple of towels, maybe my yoga mat and extra pillow, my laptop and phone, complete with Google Translator app.  I put in some snacks, too, because I am sort of anxious about getting hungry and who is going to feed me when.  I am probably being silly, but some almonds never hurt anyone.  I am bringing the Ungame to play with the kids - there is no student who doesn't love the Ungame.

Here is what I am nervous about:  1) Ben Lee says I don't need a power adapter but I am worried.  2) I tried to get a new sim card for my phone so I could have data, especially for the translator app, but they sent me the wrong size. 3) What will I eat? Is it okay to drink the water? 4) How will I know where to go, and at what time?  5) I am simultaneously worried about being supervised too much and being left alone too much.  6) What internet sites will work or not work?  For instance, will I even be able to access this blogspot?  Ha!  That would be a laugh if I can't even post notes about what I am doing.

That's not actually too bad for a list of fears.  I am not worried about how my teaching will go, about whether I will get along with people, about what they will think of me, etc.  So that's pretty good.  My fears are all sort of mundane little business things.  Now to get my grading done so I can start packing.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a super trip - Adina! I'm looking forward to following along --benjfest

CTung said...

Adina...you are such an inspiration! I love the total energy and honesty that you are sharing through these posts! I really hope you are able to keep reflecting. I truly value your insights and hearing about your journey! Embrace the unknown!

Ben said...

Don't drink water from the tap! You can drink water from the water machines which are everywhere. Have you gotten yourself a VPN yet? I am in Beijing as I write right now and am accessing this blog to leave this comment. But I have a VPN. I do not think I could do this without it. Hope to see you in a couple of days! -- Ben (Lee)

Unknown said...

Bon voyage, Adina! Or rather, Yīlù píng'ān!
(Good call on the aplets & cotlets!)

Scott Davis said...

As Ben has advised: eat more, don't get yourself killed

Unknown said...

Oh Ma ai ling, I bet every one there loves you. Do you get to visit corner mini market around the school yet, they have many snacks, fruits and toilet paper! You need to bring tissue paper to school too! Remember to bring a few facial tissue packs with you when you are out and about. At least you find nice bathroom,there is no toilet paper in any stall. Even nice place, their toilet paper might still at a outside wall, just observe what others are doing. A hint Western toilet usually at the very back if you don't see any picture sign on the door. And people might not be politely waiting in line.
We didn't need to use adopter, but I am not get into any techie stuffs. But you might get a simple hot water maker, boil your hot water and let it cool and store into your water bottle. I wonder they have that in "your office". You will see almost everyone has a tea mug/bottle like we have a coffee mug.
Say hi for me to Sharron and Guo mama, tell them I'll see them at April. We will have 20 or more students going. Xu ting ting